Page Tabs

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Staffel Refugee Camp - Week #9

Staffel Refugee Camp - Week #9
April 18, 2016 

Ready to load the van with the wheelchair and supplies, Ken drove 6 of us to the Refugee Camp.

They were ready and waiting for me when I came in today...the best surprise ever! I let them know how happy I was to see them there working on their projects!

Doesn't it look like a Relief Society meeting? 

A big difference would be that these people come from Afghanistan, Syria, and Iraq and cannot even speak to each other!!!  Most of them have been in this camp for 3-4 months, waiting for their legal residency permits before being given apartments and allowed to get jobs.

There I am, almost hidden, taking orders for the yarn needed to finish or make new projects.

Can't you just picture these women in their homeland of Afghanistan?

Summi wanted me to make her a hat. She is one of the few who speaks English and helps me communicate with the others. 

The very best part is the sweet friendships we've made!!!



Now I ask you, do these women need any knitting/crocheting instruction?????






Problem: This sweater was started with yarn that was donated and is all done but the sleeves. Now I am trying to find more yarn to match so she can finish it! Aaacht!

It took me a few weeks, but I finally found more of this color so she could finish this project!

A teenage girl made a case for her I-Pad.

So cute!




Sisters Hacking & Jensen helping with crafts. Here they were blowing water colors with straws.

Sisters Edmunds & Biddulph are the jump rope instructors. The children are getting good at jumping rope...and loving it!

We've got to enjoy a sunny day outside when we can get it!

The children have finally learned how to stand in line to take turns.

Stopping for lunch on the way home is a good time to debrief! Most days it is rather intense and exhausting, but we all have a feeling that our efforts were appreciated. 



No comments: